Monday, August 30, 2010

Kayaking ... and memories of ...

Did a little kayaking yesterday -- by way of Trapper John's Canoe Livery in Grove City -- with Nate, Tasha, Mom and Dad. Highly recommended if you're looking for a fun and relaxing way to unwind.

Accurate representation
before the wipeout.
Unfortunately, a member of our party -- we won't say who! -- flipped the kayak on one of the Class V rapids (see photo --->) we were battling on Big Darby Creek and went into the drink, subsequently having to spend the rest of the day soaking wet.

Sadly, bad luck always seems to befall one person in the group, and in the vein of misery loves company, let me just say that ... I know the feeling!

This was my second kayaking day this summer, the other being on the Scioto River, but before that I hadn't been since I visited friends in Seattle 10 years ago (Has it been that long?!). While out there, I had my first kayaking experience on the picturesque Lake Union, and it was a glorious time ... that is, until I got all cocky that I mastered the kayak and started horsing around and getting in splash fights with the paddle.

I promptly got what was coming to me, flipping my kayak in the middle of the lake and, since it was virtually impossible for me to flip the thing back over while treading water, I had to swim with it to one of those sweet houseboats that line the lake, so I could get out, flip it and get back in ... soaking wet for the rest of the day.

So in the interest of self-deprecation -- and informing the unfortunate member of our party yesterday, you are not alone! -- here's a comical look back at yours truly, embarrassing himself, but making what turned out to be a memory that I look back on fondly now.

THE GOOD

THE BAD

THE UGLY

Keep the snickering to yourself ...

2 comments:

Monica E. Smith said...

cool. never saw these photos before. loved it.

Anonymous said...

As the one who flipped the kayak traversing the Big Darby Creek rapids, I appreciate seeing the photo of me which you took without my knowledge just before I went under! Great photo! :-)
Thanks!
I think the crawdad was surprised to find himself in my kayak, too!